How can I choose a safe football helmet?

All football helmets on the market are approved by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment) to minimize the risk of skull fractures and brain bleeds. It is important to note that even though helmets are NOCSAE certified, athletes in contact sports are still at risk for head injuries.

There is not one best football helmet; it is more a matter of personal preference, size, and fit. The Xenith helmet is lined with18 thermoplastic shock absorbers that release air upon impact. This reduces the speed at which the head moves inside the helmet to prevent the jarring that causes concussions. The protective shell of the Riddell Revolution helmet extends to the jaw area for more protection. The padding inside is inflated to custom fit the athlete’s head. The Schutt ION 4D helmet uses a Thermoplastic Urethane Cushioning System that provides better impact absorption and won’t break down. This helmet has a durable face guard made of strong, but lightweight, titanium. (This answer provided for NATA by the Saint Louis University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Football

Which type of football shoulder pads should I choose?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are two styles of football shoulder pads: cantilevered and noncantilevered. Cantilevered p...
Why do linemen wear knee braces in football?
Knee braces can be worn to protect against damage to the ligaments of the knee, or they can be w...
What are some effective and safe stretches for the neck?
The levator neck stretch and the sternocleidomastoid neck stretch are essential to creating mobi...
How would sports performance training help me as a football player?
Anis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite TrainerAnis Khachnaoui , NASM Elite Trainer
A comprehensive integrated sports performance program will help you achieve high performance an...