How do I improve my closing speed on defense?

To increase closing speed will require you to train to improve your overall speed. This means that any "speed" drill can be implemented, it will just require the athlete to perform these drills fast. This will carry over to improvements in speed. One good drill is resisted sprints. This drill helps to improve acceleration and maximal speed. This drill requires a resistance cord that will go around your waist as well as a partner to hold on to the cord. As you sprint forward, your partner is being towed behind you to apply backwards resistance. This will assist in forcing your body to recruit more muscles at a faster pace and will translate to increases in speed. Also, to perform at maximum intensity, an athlete must have plenty of rest.  Without that, true speed development will not occur. Make sure that throughout the off-season at least one day per week is left for maximum speed training.  This can include any movement drill, but it has to be run with maximum intensity.

Continue Learning about Football

What types of football helmets lower the risk of head injuries?
Dr. Robin Miller, MDDr. Robin Miller, MD
Not all football helmets are created equal; some ensure a lower risk of concussion. Watch Robin Mill...
How should I choose football cleats?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
The answer depends on the position you play, the type of surface played on, the amount of ankle ...
What's the best drill to measure the ability to fire off the ball?
In testing your ability to "fire off the ball," coaches are looking to measure explosive power witho...
How can I choose a safe football helmet?
All football helmets on the market are approved by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Stand...