How do I make the defensive backs more aggressive?

Set up a drill where players must execute their backpedal and learn to break on the ball in a competitive environment. Two players are shoulder to shoulder and start backpedaling in the same direction at the same speed. After 10 yards or so, a coach will point right or left - both players will break in the direction the coach points. The player to the side of the break becomes the offense and the player away becomes the defense. The coach throws the ball trying to complete a pass to the directionally assigned offensive player and the defender competes to make a play on the ball.  An interception or a pass break up with the near side hand is what you are looking for and a sign that your defensive backs are competing for the ball a little better. Backpedaling is a crucial skill for any defensive back;  the technique should be fluid and effortless.

Continue Learning about Football

How would sports performance training help me as a football player?
A well designed sports performance training program will optimize the speed, agility and strength at...
What type of shoes should football kickers wear?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Football kickers choose their shoes based on a variety of factors, including turf or grass surfa...
How can I choose a safe football helmet?
All football helmets on the market are approved by NOCSAE (National Operating Committee on Stand...
How do I prevent receivers from slowing down prior to the catch?
Many times speed development neglects to train the subtle nuances that occur on the field, like ...