How often should I work pre-season cardio into my football training?

The frequency of pre-season cardio conditioning for football depends on your current fitness level. The goal in the pre-season is to complete a lot of your conditioning with your sport-specific drills, but if you are not in good shape and the intensity of the drills is low, then you will not get the cardiovascular benefits you are looking for and you can set yourself up for an injury.  Players that are trying to lose weight or need more time to build an aerobic base, should use a six-day rotation. Two days should be spent working on endurance around your anaerobic threshold. Two days should consist of work at a higher intensity that mimics the anaerobic energy demand of the sport. The last two days of the rotation should consist of low-intensity activity used for recovery and building an aerobic base. As you improve your fitness level, then you can remove the lower-intensity recovery days and just use foam rolls, massages, and other modes to help you recover. Also, the higher-intensity days should be designed around your football drills to get both the drills and conditioning in one session.

Continue Learning about Football

Why do linemen wear knee braces in football?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
Knee braces can be worn to protect against damage to the ligaments of the knee, or they can be w...
How should I choose football cleats?
The answer depends on the position you play, the type of surface played on, the amount of ankle ...
How can I get bigger for football?
Two ways to add some pounds to your frame are through weight lifting and consuming a proper diet. Wh...
What is the proper way to tackle?
Proper tackling techniques include making sure that the person tackling sees what he is tackling. Al...