Are there alternative exercises that I can do instead of the power clean?

Eric Beard
Sports Medicine
 I have my athletes use kettlebells more often than barbells for Olympic Lifts such as any clean variation or snatch. The centrifugal force generated during the basic kettlebell movement of the swing loads the "posterior chain" of the body quite well. The posterior chain (or backside of the body including the glutes/hips) often needs greater development in most athletes. The arcing motion during a swing loads the hips like no other exercise that I have experienced. Master the kettlebell swing and you can develop explosiveness through the hips and then work up to performing cleans and snatches with the kettlebell as well.
Absolutely. The power clean (barbell clean) is a good lift, but there are a multitude of exercises to train hip and leg explosion, core strength, and shoulder stability.  A.) Hip and leg power can be developed with the speed squat (try with some light dumbbells), the lunge jump (shoot for height and speed), and/or the tuck jump (jump high and then tuck); B.) for solid core strengthening perform the ball back extensions or the reverse hyperextensions; and C.) if you demand upper back and shoulder resiliency then perform the standing dumbbell diagonal lift.

Continue Learning about Football

How can I improve my receiving?
The first step is to receive a check up on our vision to see if we need any prescription assista...
Is there anything I can do to alleviate shoulder soreness from hitting?
Always check with a physician to ensure the shoulder soreness is not something more serious that may...
What's better for football - the traditional squat or lunges?
Toby Garza , NASM Elite TrainerToby Garza , NASM Elite Trainer
In a perfect world the squat would be better. Lunges are great for many things, considering you are ...
How do I know if a football helmet needs more air?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
If the helmet is too loose on your head and there is room for twisting, you may need a smaller s...