Should I talk to my doctor about my foot related sports injury symptoms?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD
Family Practitioner

Minor foot related sports injury symptoms may not require a doctor's care. If the foot can be treated through RICE (rest, ice, compression, and elevation) and no additional symptoms persist, you probably do not have to see a doctor. However, if the pain continues, worsens, or additional symptoms appear, you should seek medical attention.

An injury should be seen by your doctor if:

  • You are limping or changing the way you walk in anyway
  • Symptoms such as swelling, bruising, redness, sensitivity changes don't resolve themselves with a couple days of rest and compression
  • If you have sharp pain that may indicate a broken bone
  • OR if you have any concerns about the injury

When foot injuries go untreated, it does lead to the possibility of further injury such as knee pain or back pain and then you will have to recover from two injuries instead of one. It is important to keep swelling to a minimum in order to decrease pain and maintain normal motion. Also, it is important to maintain a normal gait or the way that you walk, to keep the whole body working properly and not overstress other areas.

Continue Learning about Foot-Related Sports Injuries

Indoor Field Sports Hazzard: Turf Toe
Indoor Field Sports Hazzard: Turf Toe
The coldest NFL football game may have been the Ice Bowl played at Green Bay’s Lambeau Field, on December, 31, 1967 (air temperature was -13°F; windch...
Read More
What increases my risk for foot related sports injuries?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Your risk for foot related sports injuries increases when you exercise or play without warming up an...
More Answers
How do foot related sports injuries affect the body?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Foot related sports injuries affect the body by causing pain to the feet, but can also spread pain, ...
More Answers
How Is a Tendon Tear in the Ankle Treated?
How Is a Tendon Tear in the Ankle Treated?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.