How should I treat turf toe?

To address the pain and swelling caused by turf toe, ice is always beneficial. It is recommended that you ice your toe either by using a bag of ice or immersing the toe and lower foot in an ice bath for 10 minutes.

Turf toe can be problematic during soccer and other sports that require an athlete to run and cut on uneven surfaces. There are several taping procedures as well as rigid inserts for the shoe that can help support the injured toe so that you can participate in sports. Consult with your athletic trainer on the best option. It is also a good idea to look at the cause of the turf toe. Some cases can be caused by ill-fitting or worn-out cleats and may require purchasing new shoes.

(This answer provided for NATA by the King College Athletic Training Education Program.)

Holman Chan, MD
Foot & Ankle Surgery
The best way to treat turf toe is RICE (rest, ice, compression and elevation) says Holman Chan, MD, an orthopedic surgeon at Sunrise Hospital. In this video, he explains the healing process of turf toe and similar athletic injuries.

Continue Learning about Foot-Related Sports Injuries

Indoor Field Sports Hazzard: Turf Toe
Indoor Field Sports Hazzard: Turf Toe
The coldest NFL football game may have been the Ice Bowl played at Green Bay’s Lambeau Field, on December, 31, 1967 (air temperature was -13°F; windch...
How common are foot-related sports injuries?
There are almost two million sports related injuries reported at sports and recreation facilities ev...
Should I talk to my doctor about my foot related sports injury symptoms?
Minor foot related sports injury symptoms may not require a doctor's care. If the foot can be treate...
What Is Turf Toe?
What Is Turf Toe?