Why should I moisturize my feet as I get older?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
As you move into your 50s, 60s, and beyond, your skin may begin to dry out. Unless you moisturize your feet on a regular basis with creams or lotions, you may develop cracks and fissures in the skin. Not only is this painful, but it can also make you more susceptible to viruses and bacteria that enter through breaks in the skin and cause infection.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I repair the dry cracked skin on my feet?
Dr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNDr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
The use of a moisturizer on your feet after bathing/showering can be helpful in softening the hard s...
What are Southey's tubes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
English physician Reginald Southey, in the 19th century, introduced the use of small tubes to treat ...
The Ugly Truth About Gel Manicures, Pt 3