When should I call my doctor if I have athlete's foot?

You should call your doctor if you have athlete's foot (a fungal infection) for the following reasons.

You have signs of a bacterial infection in addition to the fungal infection. Those symptoms might include:
  •  foot swelling
  •  feeling warm to the touch
  •  red streaks in the skin
  •  fever
  •  pus or drainage on your foot
You have diabetes and you develop athlete's foot.

You have a weakened immune system (due to taking a certain medication or having a chronic condition such as AIDS) and you develop athlete's foot.

Your symptoms have not gone away even though you have been treating them according to your doctor's directions for more than two weeks.

Athlete's foot, known medically as tinea pedis, is a common skin infection that can cause red and itchy skin, burning and pain, blisters and foot odor. It can usually be treated successfully with over-the-counter powders and cream. If left untreated for too long, a bacterial infection can also set in, making the condition more complicated to treat. Your doctor can do a physical examination and possibly order some laboratory tests to confirm the diagnosis of athlete's foot, and then can give you a treatment plan as well as tips for avoiding the problem in the future.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

How can I get a safe pedicure?
Jill A. Grimes, MDJill A. Grimes, MD
Overall, pedicures are okay but make sure the pedicure technicians use disposable blades and ste...
What are affordable options for moisturizing my feet?
Joshua A. Zeichner, MDJoshua A. Zeichner, MD
The best moisturizers for the feet are products that tend to be a thicker in consistency than those ...
What is nail care?
Nail care, the maintenance of the fingernails and toenails, is important for health as well as cosme...
What lifestyle factors can affect foot health?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Many of the same things you do to maintain your overall health can also help your feet stay heal...