When should I call my doctor if I have athlete's foot?

You should call your doctor if you have athlete's foot (a fungal infection) for the following reasons.

You have signs of a bacterial infection in addition to the fungal infection. Those symptoms might include:
  •  foot swelling
  •  feeling warm to the touch
  •  red streaks in the skin
  •  fever
  •  pus or drainage on your foot
You have diabetes and you develop athlete's foot.
You have a weakened immune system (due to taking a certain medication or having a chronic condition such as AIDS) and you develop athlete's foot.

Your symptoms have not gone away even though you have been treating them according to your doctor's directions for more than two weeks.
Athlete's foot, known medically as tinea pedis, is a common skin infection that can cause red and itchy skin, burning and pain, blisters and foot odor. It can usually be treated successfully with over-the-counter powders and cream. If left untreated for too long, a bacterial infection can also set in, making the condition more complicated to treat. Your doctor can do a physical examination and possibly order some laboratory tests to confirm the diagnosis of athlete's foot, and then can give you a treatment plan as well as tips for avoiding the problem in the future.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
Read More
How bad are 4-inch heels for my feet?
Jane MilliffJane Milliff
We all recoil at the ancient practice of foot binding, right? Description of wrapping girls’ feet in...
More Answers
How do I practice good foot care?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Taking care of your feet is essential to keep them healthy. Wash and dry your feet daily, and check ...
More Answers
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.