When should I consult a doctor about a foot blister?

James P. Ioli, DPM
Podiatric Medicine
If you have a foot blister so large and painful that it interferes with walking, seek medical help. Also seek help if you notice that the fluid in the blister is not clear but looks more like pus, or if you develop a fever. These are signs of infection. If you have a blister that itches, or what appears to be a rash of blisters spreading across your foot, the problem may be athlete's foot or some other disorder. In any of these situations, consult your doctor or foot care specialist.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
Read More
What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Univ. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family MedicineUniv. of Nev. School of Medicine, Family Medicine
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...
More Answers
How do I practice good foot care?
Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)Honor Society of Nursing (STTI)
Taking care of your feet is essential to keep them healthy. Wash and dry your feet daily, and check ...
More Answers
The Ugly Truth About Gel Manicures, Pt 3
The Ugly Truth About Gel Manicures, Pt 3

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.