What is a friction blister?

When something repeatedly rubs your skin, it causes friction. This friction can cause the layers of your skin to separate creating a cavity. The body attempts to reduce the friction by filling this cavity with fluid and before you know it, you have a friction blister.

You can avoid friction blisters on your feet by wearing the right shoes and socks.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

What are foot ulcers?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A foot ulcer is a break in the skin of the foot. By definition, ulcers are breaks in a membrane. Foo...
How do I practice good foot care?
Taking care of your feet is essential to keep them healthy. Wash and dry your feet daily, and check ...
How can I avoid fungal foot infection?
To avoid foot fungus, keep your toes dry and try to expose them to the sun. Many people who think th...
What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...