What are Southey's tubes?

English physician Reginald Southey, in the 19th century, introduced the use of small tubes to treat severe fluid overload in the lower legs and feet.

Doctors pushed tiny rubber tubes through a patient's skin and then allowed them to drain. The tubes were subsequently named Southey's tubes. One report said the tubes, which were each about an inch long, could remove up to 40 pounds of fluid within two days.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

What is nail care?
Nail care, the maintenance of the fingernails and toenails, is important for health as well as cosme...
How can I make sure my shoe fits me properly?
Andy Sharry - Sharecare Fitness ExpertAndy Sharry - Sharecare Fitness Expert
I coach hundreds of runners of all shapes, sizes, speeds and abilities.  The single most important p...
How can I avoid fungal foot infection?
To avoid foot fungus, keep your toes dry and try to expose them to the sun. Many people who think th...
What lifestyle factors can affect foot health?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Many of the same things you do to maintain your overall health can also help your feet stay heal...