What are Southey's tubes?

English physician Reginald Southey, in the 19th century, introduced the use of small tubes to treat severe fluid overload in the lower legs and feet.

Doctors pushed tiny rubber tubes through a patient's skin and then allowed them to drain. The tubes were subsequently named Southey's tubes. One report said the tubes, which were each about an inch long, could remove up to 40 pounds of fluid within two days.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I protect my feet if I wear high heels?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Hooked on high heels? To protect your feet, try wearing high heels in moderation and saving them for...
What are treatments for extremely sweaty feet?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Doctors call excessive feet sweating "hyperhidrosis". It is a common problem, especially in hot, hum...
The Ugly Truth About Gel Manicures, Pt 3