What are foot ulcers?

A foot ulcer is a break in the skin of the foot. By definition, ulcers are breaks in a membrane. Foot ulcers are most frequently due to poor healing, either from diabetes or vascular disease. They tend to occur secondary to trauma or pressure and the inability to heal.

Stacy Wiegman, PharmD
Pharmacy Specialist

Foot ulcers are painful, swollen sores that develop on the feet. Elderly patients with diabetes often develop foot ulcers. However, foot ulcers can also result from pressure, nerve damage, blood vessel issues and negligent foot care. You can treat foot ulcers with surgery, dressings, medications, pressure point therapy and foot soaks. An antibiotic may be necessary to avoid infections associated with foot ulcers.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I treat corns and calluses?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If you are prone to corns or calluses, cushion the affected area with moleskin to relieve pressu...
What are affordable options for moisturizing my feet?
Joshua A. Zeichner, MDJoshua A. Zeichner, MD
The best moisturizers for the feet are products that tend to be a thicker in consistency than those ...
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?
Do Your Feet Look Good Naked?