What are the symptoms of athlete's foot?

Dr. Jeanne Morrison, PhD

Symptoms of athlete's foot can include:

• Redness
  • Scaling
  • Itching
  • Burning
  • Stinging
  • Blisters
  • Dry skin
  • Cracking skin
  • Peeling skin

The areas most commonly affected are between the toes and on the soles of the feet. In some cases, the sides of the feet may also show symptoms. Sometimes the toenails might also show symptoms of athlete's foot and become crumbly, thick, darkened, or uneven. Most people do not experience all of these symptoms.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

What causes painful cracks in my heels?
Wear and tear can cause painful cracks in your heals because your feet get a lot of use. It is impor...
What are foot ulcers?
Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MDDr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD
A foot ulcer is a break in the skin of the foot. By definition, ulcers are breaks in a membrane. Foo...
Why do my feet get so dry?
Because there are fewer oil glands on your feet, they are much more likely to become dry. As you get...
How can I treat corns and calluses?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Treat corns and calluses. These hard, thickened areas of skin can be treated with warm soaks and slo...