How can I repair the dry cracked skin on my feet?

Dr. Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Emergency Room Nursing Specialist

The use of a moisturizer on your feet after bathing/showering can be helpful in softening the hard skin that has cracked on your feet. Also, if you have no health problems/diseases that require you to be careful with foot care, the gentle use of a pumice stone in these areas can assist in the removal of the dead skin.

Cracked heels can be treated with lotion and ointments. Cracked heels are usually caused by thick calluses and dry skin. Calluses can be trimmed down and lotion can be applied on a regular basis. The thicker the lotion the better, with ointments being the best. Products like Aquaphor Healing Ointment and Boudreaux's Butt Paste are commonly used products.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
Why should I moisturize my feet as I get older?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
As you move into your 50s, 60s, and beyond, your skin may begin to dry out. Unless you moisturiz...
Can compression stockings help alleviate tired legs and feet?
Sometimes, after a hard day, your legs may feel like they have about as much zip as a napping cat. T...
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?