How do I manage my athlete's foot on a daily basis?

You can manage athlete's foot on a daily basis by practicing good foot hygiene and using effective over-the-counter or prescription treatment. Over-the-counter anti-fungal creams and ointments often are effective in treating athlete's foot. However, if they don't work in a week or two, be sure to see your doctor. Keeping your feet -- especially the area between your toes -- clean and dry, is key to preventing recurrences of athlete's foot. Despite your best efforts, however, athlete's foot often does recur; if that happens, it needs to be treated again until it goes away. 

If you have athlete's foot, you should treat it with medication. Many people begin with over-the-counter topical antifungal medications. If those do not help, or if your infection is severe, your doctor may prescribe strong topical or oral medication. You may have to use medications for several weeks; make sure to use everything as directed. Wear well-fitting socks and shoes, and wash and dry your feet well during treatment.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I keep my feet healthy?
Looking after your feet can keep you free of problems that may lead to pain and even disability. The...
How can I make sure my shoe fits me properly?
National Athletic Trainers' AssociationNational Athletic Trainers' Association
There are many different methods that are used for measuring a foot; one method that has been us...
The Ugly Truth About Gel Manicures, Pt 3