What do I do if I get athlete's foot?

If you get athlete's foot you can treat it with over-the-counter (OTC) medications as well as prescription medicines. Medicines can be topical sprays, creams, or oral pills. It is important to keep the foot clean and dry while exposing the foot to air.

You can help take care of athlete's foot at home with the aid of over-the-counter medicines designed to target fungus. These treatments are available as sprays, ointments, powders or creams. If your condition persists, consider seeing a doctor. He or she might direct you to use a prescribed topical medicine that's stronger than the over-the-counter formulas.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
What are treatments for extremely sweaty feet?
Anthony L. Komaroff, MDAnthony L. Komaroff, MD
Doctors call excessive feet sweating "hyperhidrosis". It is a common problem, especially in hot, hum...
How can I treat cracked heels?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Don't forget cracked heels. These are not only unsightly but are prone to infection. Exfoliating pro...
The Ugly Truth About Gel Manicures, Pt 3