How can I prevent foot blisters?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
The best way to prevent blisters on your feet is to wear shoes that fit comfortably -- not so tight as to cause continuous pressure, and not so loose that they slide up and down your heel when you walk. Also, make sure your feet remain dry during the day, since moist feet tend to "stick" to the shoe and worsen rubbing. Wear socks or stockings to pad the skin and minimize any friction as you walk. If you are prone to blisters or know that particular shoes cause problems, use petroleum jelly to lubricate the skin in a problem area, or foot powder to keep your feet dry. You can also protect the skin at problem spots using bandages or moleskin.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I keep my feet healthy?
Looking after your feet can keep you free of problems that may lead to pain and even disability. The...
What lifestyle factors can affect foot health?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Many of the same things you do to maintain your overall health can also help your feet stay heal...
Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels
Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels