How can I prevent foot blisters?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
The best way to prevent blisters on your feet is to wear shoes that fit comfortably -- not so tight as to cause continuous pressure, and not so loose that they slide up and down your heel when you walk. Also, make sure your feet remain dry during the day, since moist feet tend to "stick" to the shoe and worsen rubbing. Wear socks or stockings to pad the skin and minimize any friction as you walk. If you are prone to blisters or know that particular shoes cause problems, use petroleum jelly to lubricate the skin in a problem area, or foot powder to keep your feet dry. You can also protect the skin at problem spots using bandages or moleskin.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I avoid fungal foot infection?
To avoid foot fungus, keep your toes dry and try to expose them to the sun. Many people who think th...
What should I do if I think my ingrown nail is infected?
Talk to your doctor if your ingrown nail becomes infected -- he or she can prescribe an antibiotic t...
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?
Sneak Peek: Are Gel Manicures Safe?