How can I avoid blisters?

Aaron Nelson
Sports Medicine

You can avoid blisters by limiting/reducing the amount of friction to the area where you are having blisters form. Certain fabrics may increase the chance of blisters, so make sure the clothing covering the body is not abrasive. Try to keep your feet dry. This is a very common area for blister formation. Wearing shoes that fit is also important. If you tend to get blisters on your feet, try wearing an extra pair of socks. Over the counter products such as anti-chafe creams and adhesive type blister bandages are also available to help reduce blister formation and/or cover a current blister. If a blister forms, make sure to keep it clean to avoid infection.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
How can I treat corns and calluses?
NewYork-Presbyterian HospitalNewYork-Presbyterian Hospital
Treat corns and calluses. These hard, thickened areas of skin can be treated with warm soaks and slo...
What is the best summer footwear for women to buy?
Some summer footwear can be bad for women's feet - want to know what's best to buy? Watch the vid...
What should I do if I think my ingrown nail is infected?
Talk to your doctor if your ingrown nail becomes infected -- he or she can prescribe an antibiotic t...