How can I avoid blisters?

Aaron Nelson
Sports Medicine

You can avoid blisters by limiting/reducing the amount of friction to the area where you are having blisters form. Certain fabrics may increase the chance of blisters, so make sure the clothing covering the body is not abrasive. Try to keep your feet dry. This is a very common area for blister formation. Wearing shoes that fit is also important. If you tend to get blisters on your feet, try wearing an extra pair of socks. Over the counter products such as anti-chafe creams and adhesive type blister bandages are also available to help reduce blister formation and/or cover a current blister. If a blister forms, make sure to keep it clean to avoid infection.

To avoid blisters on the feet, try your shoes on before buying them to avoid getting ones that are too tight or too loose. Also, be sure to keep your feet as dry as possible. Wear socks if you can and always change into a fresh pair if they become damp. If your clothing is causing blisters when you exercise, change the type of material to something softer. Runners can avoid chafing or blisters that result from their thighs rubbing together by using an anti-chafing stick treatment. Wear work gloves while doing yard work or other intense tasks to protect your hands from blistering.

Continue Learning about Foot Skin and Nail Care

5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
5 Embarrassing Foot Problems, Solved
Athlete’s Foot Athlete’s foot, or tinea pedis, is an infection that leads to itchy, burning, scaly and inflamed skin. It’s caused by ringworm, a fungu...
What are Southey's tubes?
Discovery HealthDiscovery Health
English physician Reginald Southey, in the 19th century, introduced the use of small tubes to treat ...
How can I treat corns and calluses?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
If you are prone to corns or calluses, cushion the affected area with moleskin to relieve pressu...
Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels
Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels