What type of follow-up care does my baby need for clubfoot?

Up to 2 months old, your child should see the doctor every 1 to 2 weeks and have gentle manipulation of the foot and cast changes. At about 2 months old, there should be an outpatient surgery visit, and the doctor should do Achilles tendon lengthening (tenotomy) and apply the last cast. At about 3 months old, the doctor should remove the last cast and measure your child for a brace. Then at about 4 months old until your baby is pulling and standing, you should see the doctor every 2 to 3 months and your baby should wear the brace for 23 hours a day with no exceptions. At about 12 months until 3 to 4 years old, your child should see the doctor every 3 to 6 months and wear the brace at night and during naptimes.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is metatarsalgia?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Metatarsalgia is a general term for pain and inflammation in the metatarsal region of the foot, the ...
What's the most common complication from ankle replacement surgery?
Holman Chan, MDHolman Chan, MD
Stiffness is the most common complication in ankle replacement, says Holman Chan, MD, an orthopedic ...
How Is a Tendon Tear in the Ankle Treated?