What is a neuroma of the foot?

Nerve irritation can produce a burning sensation or numbness in the foot and may be responsible for the development of a painful lump of tissue or neuroma. In women, neuroma is due mostly to wearing narrow shoes with high heels or a constricting vamp. Arthritis and repetitive stress also can cause the condition.

Dr. Christopher P. Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgeon

A neuroma, sometimes called a pinched or swollen nerve, is one type of nerve problem that most commonly affects the foot. A neuroma of the foot develops when a nerve is compressed, injured, or pinched, causing swelling and pain. The nerves most often affected in the feet are branches of the plantar nerves, which supply feeling to the bottoms of the feet and toes.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is clubfoot in babies?
Dr. James D. Fortenberry, MDDr. James D. Fortenberry, MD
Babies are sometimes born with clubfoot. A clubfoot is a deformity that causes the foot to be turned...
Why should someone with a foot injury see an orthopedic surgeon specialist?
Sunrise Children's HospitalSunrise Children's Hospital
Parents should seek out a specialist for an orthopedic issue if their primary care physician isn’t c...
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?