What is pronation?

Pronation refers to the turning inward of ankles and dropping of the arch while standing, walking, or running. Pronation is natural, however overpronation can cause problems, pain or injuries. This can happen in individuals with flat feet, as well as other individuals when the hips, calves and foot muscles start to tire.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

How can I keep my feet warm when they are damp?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Using socks that will keep your feet warm when they are damp is another factor to consider. If your ...
When should I see a doctor for foot or ankle problems?
It is always good to seek medical attention whenever there is an acute traumatic injury with a possi...
What is posterior impingement in the ankles?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
When tissues in the ankle joint become trapped between the bones, this can cause pain. Pain in the b...
What are the main causes of foot pain?
Suzanne M. Levine, DPMSuzanne M. Levine, DPM
The main causes of foot pain include gravity, weight gain, the aging process, genetics and even gend...