What is Morton's neuroma?

A burning sensation in the foot is most likely Morton’s neuroma. Morton’s neuroma is characterized by pain located between the third and fourth metatarsals (the long bones of your foot). A burning sensation is present and patients will complain of numbness, tingling and loss of sensation in the affected area. It is caused by a pivoting on the 3rd and 4th metatarsals that can cause a shear force. This shear force between the 3rd and 4th metatarsals entraps the nerve, which passes through the metatarsals and causes inflammation. The inflammation is what causes the pain. Significant motion from the bony articulations of the foot more commonly occur between the 3rd and 4th metatarsals, which can cause an irritation to the nerve that runs between them. (This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program)

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

What causes metatarsalgia?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Metatarsalgia occurs when one or more of the metatarsal heads become inflamed, usually due to excess...
Can wearing flip-flops cause foot problems?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Planning to take a long walk? Need to get somewhere fast? You may want to leave your flip-flops ...
How can I keep my feet warm when they are damp?
Karen L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RNKaren L. Gorton, PhD, MS, RN
Using socks that will keep your feet warm when they are damp is another factor to consider. If your ...
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?
Are Your Feet Growing as You Age?