What are the concerns with having high foot arches?

High foot arches may be responsible for the majority of lower leg pain and injuries. If the arches are extremely high, this can pull the body out of alignment and create poor posture. A high arch at any level needs to be well supported when standing or performing physical activities.
Having high arches can cause impairments of proper foot mechanics in walking such as reduction of force production during push off. This will cause a decrease of absorbtion of compression and momentum from the body in the foot/ankle complex when your foot makes contact with the ground during normal walking. A lack of absorbtion of the foot has been shown in studies to increase the chance of insidious chronic knee and hip dysfunction and disruption of proper lower extremity alignment due to altered static postual stability of proper length-tension relationships of the ligamants and muscles that make up the arch in the foot.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What causes swollen ankles?
Swollen ankles can have many causes. The most common cause is water retention, usually caused by a h...
When should I see a doctor for foot or ankle problems?
It is always good to seek medical attention whenever there is an acute traumatic injury with a possi...
How Is Ankle Impingement Treated?
How Is Ankle Impingement Treated?