What causes posterior ankle impingement?

The ankle joint is primarily composed of two bones, the tibia (shinbone) and a small bone between the shin and the heel, the talus. When the foot is pointed or flexed, the ankle is compressed at the joint. Pain can result if tissue becomes trapped between the bones. Posterior impingement, in the back of the ankle, is more common in ballet dancers and can be due to overuse, poor training techniques or an atypical bony protrusion at the back of the ankle.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
How can I speed up recovery time after foot or ankle surgery?
 Wade Kenney Wade Kenney
Keeping the foot or ankle strong going into the surgery will aid in a faster recovery afterwards, ex...
Can high-arched feet have any complications?
Brian YeeBrian Yee
People with high-arches typically have less give in their foot as compared to those with flat arches...
How Is Ankle Impingement Treated?
How Is Ankle Impingement Treated?