What causes posterior ankle impingement?

The ankle joint is primarily composed of two bones, the tibia (shinbone) and a small bone between the shin and the heel, the talus. When the foot is pointed or flexed, the ankle is compressed at the joint. Pain can result if tissue becomes trapped between the bones. Posterior impingement, in the back of the ankle, is more common in ballet dancers and can be due to overuse, poor training techniques or an atypical bony protrusion at the back of the ankle.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
How is ankle instability treated?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
Ankle instability is a condition in which the ankle has lost its normal stability due to loose ligam...
What type of follow-up care does my baby need for clubfoot?
James FortenberryJames Fortenberry
Up to 2 months old, your child should see the doctor every 1 to 2 weeks and have gentle manipulation...
How Are Ankle Problems Diagnosed?
How Are Ankle Problems Diagnosed?