What causes Morton’s neuroma?

Christopher Chiodo, MD
Orthopedic Surgery
Along the bottom of the foot, the nerves of the toes pass between the metatarsal bones. As a result of tight-fitting shoes or activities such as jogging or dancing, these nerves can be compressed by the bones or the ligaments that connect the bones and become irritated. The area between the third and fourth toes is the most common site for this condition, named Morton's neuroma after the doctor who first described it.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What causes hallux rigidus?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Hallux rigidus is a progressive condition that affects the base of the big toe, making it difficult ...
How can foot issues cause knee and back pain?
MountainView HospitalMountainView Hospital
Problems in the feet can cause knee or back pain because the body parts are connected.
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot