What are heel spurs?

Bob Greene
Bob Greene on behalf of The Best Life
Physiology
Heel spurs are growths - calcium deposits - that develop on the back of the heel bone or where the tendon that connects the toes to the heel (called the plantar fascia) attaches to the heel bone. It's common in people who have flat feet, but it can also affect people who have very high arches, too. Obese people, runners and joggers are at an increased risk for heel spurs. The condition can be associated with plantar fasciitis, an inflammation of the tendon on the bottom of the foot.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What sort of shoes are right for my feet?
People often choose fashion when it comes to shoes, but that's not always best. In this video, D...
How can I strengthen weak foot arches?
Sadie LincolnSadie Lincoln
The feet are the foundation of any standing movement. Simply allowing your toes to move freely by we...
How Is Ankle Instability Treated?
How Is Ankle Instability Treated?