Are my shoes causing foot problems?

Cardiologist (Heart Specialist)

Many women suffer from wearing tight shoes and tall heels. They don't realize that bad shoes can hurt your health. Watch this video as Dr. Oz explains how ill-fitting shoes can cause pain and deform your feet.

The next time you go to put on your flip-flops, ballet flats, stilettos or cowboy boots, think twice. After all, most foot deformities, including hammertoe, heel pain, bunions and plantar fasciitis are caused by shoes that are bad for your feet.

When you consider that the foot is made up of 29 bones connected to joints, tendons, muscles and ligaments, it’s not surprising that things can go wrong—and lead to mobility problems that can affect your daily life. Doctors see a lot of bunions. These are soft-tissue enlargements at the base of the big toe that look like a bone is sticking out. But they are actually structural deformities. Wearing wider shoes or shoes that offer more support can help slow the progression of a bunion, but surgery is needed to actually correct the problem.

Dr. Suzanne M. Levine, DPM
Podiatrist (Foot Specialist)

Women love their shoes, but they can cause problems by placing your foot in an abnormal position and aggravating existing foot conditions. In this video, I will explain these foot issues and what you can do to avoid them.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
How can I relieve my foot pain?
If foot pain is throwing a wrench in your daily plans, there's a simple solution. Research shows...
What causes metatarsalgia?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Metatarsalgia occurs when one or more of the metatarsal heads become inflamed, usually due to excess...
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot
Sizing Up Athlete's Foot