How can a neuroma affect my feet and toes?

Burning and tingling radiating into the toes is usually a result of a neuroma. A neuroma is caused by pressure on the nerve between your toes. This may occur between your first and second toes or even your third and fourth. Another symptom often associated with a neuroma is feeling as though you have a pebble in your shoe. The tissues around the nerve may have thickened or the nerve is irritated. If the symptoms persist, you may want to see a doctor to explore treatment options.
(This answer provided for NATA by the Eastern University Athletic Training Education Program.)

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is posterior impingement in the ankles?
Thomas P. San Giovanni, MDThomas P. San Giovanni, MD
When tissues in the ankle joint become trapped between the bones, this can cause pain. Pain in the b...
Are kitten heels a good alternative to high heels?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
While high heels can cause foot problems, even modest kitten heels should come with a warning and ma...
How Are Ankle Problems Diagnosed?
How Are Ankle Problems Diagnosed?