How can foot issues cause knee and back pain?

Dr. Daniel R. Spogen, MD

Foot issues can cause knee and back pain because the body moves likes a kinetic chain. It starts at the foot and big toe. Extremely flat feet (pes planus) and extremely high arches (pes cavus) can alter the kinetic chain enough to predispose a person to knee pain. Both foot types in extreme could predispose a person to osteoarthritis. A limp of any kind can cause low back pain.

Problems in the feet can cause knee or back pain because the body parts are connected.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is metatarsalgia?
Christopher W. Hodgkins, MDChristopher W. Hodgkins, MD
Metatarsalgia is a general term for pain and inflammation in the metatarsal region of the foot, the ...
Are foot problems life threatening?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
For the most part, foot problems are annoying, painful, and sometimes disabling, but they are ra...
How Are Ankle Problems Diagnosed?
How Are Ankle Problems Diagnosed?