Is anything wrong if I have high-arched feet?

High arched feet are considered a normal variant in the population and in isolation are not suggestive of a problem.  If you have high arched feet and difficulty with balance, pain and numbness in the feet, or have family members with high arched feet and such complaints, they may be suggestive of a neurological disease called Charcot Marie-Tooth disease.

Arch height has a normal variation across the population, so high arches can be just a variation on the average arch height. It can also be inherited. Such instances of high-arched feet are less serious because they do not indicate an underlying neurological problem, although they do make it more likely to develop Haglund's Deformity, a bony lump on the back of the heel. If high arches cause pain or fatigue in the feet, special shoes and insoles often suffice as treatment. However, most instances of high-arched feet are due to underlying neurological problems. These can be serious and must be promptly treated to avoid further disability.

Continue Learning about Foot and Ankle Conditions

Worst Case Scenario: I Wear High Heels Every Day
High heels may turn your outfit up a notch, but they can wreak havoc on your body. “Other than how they make you look, there’s very little upside to ...
What is sesamoiditis?
Christopher Chiodo, MDChristopher Chiodo, MD
Beneath the base of your big toe, in the ball of your foot, are two small bones called the sesam...
What happens during surgery for foot problems?
James P. Ioli, DPMJames P. Ioli, DPM
Many foot surgery procedures can be performed -, - on an outpatient basis in a hospital or surgi...
Are My Shoes Causing Foot Problems?
Are My Shoes Causing Foot Problems?