How should I store maple syrup?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
Maple syrup can be purchased in small individual containers or in bulk. Syrup quality varies by color, taste, and consistency. Maple syrup is labeled with a grade based upon an official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) grading system with three basic types of Grade A, including Light Amber, Medium Amber, and Dark Amber. A lighter color indicates a more subtle flavor and thinner texture. Maple syrup is also available in a Grade B version, which has a stronger taste. Grade B is typically reserved for cooking and use in processed foods. Pure maple syrup is distinguished in its labeling from maple-flavored syrups. Many commercials brand syrups contain little or no actual maple syrup. Although pure maple syrup is generally more expensive, its unique, rich flavor makes it well worth the price differential.

You can store maple syrup in a cool, dry, and dark place if it is unopened. Once opened, the maple syrup should be kept in the refrigerator, where it will keep for three to six months. Maple syrup can be stored in the freezer, where it can keep for one year. If you see mold in the syrup or on the surface, it is time to dispose of it.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How can I store watermelons?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Watermelons should be refrigerated in order to best preserve their freshness, taste, and juiciness. ...
How can I store almonds?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Almonds, like all nuts, contain fats which can go rancid over time. Store almonds in the pantry in c...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.