Is frozen food healthy?

Cindy Gay
Foods with limited processing, for example vegetables and meats without added sodium such as fresh (then frozen) fish fillets without breading and poultry without added broths and salt are healthy. Consumers can also buy fresh meats, such as lean beef, chicken breasts, turkey loin and fish fillets, divide those into smaller portions and freeze.

Label the packages with the date frozen, rotate and use the first in, first out method. The smaller portions are easy to defrost in the microwave to then cook for lunch or dinner. Some packages of frozen meats, like tilapia loins and salmon fillets, have individual wrapped portions inside the bag.

It's a good idea to check the nutrition and ingredient panel on frozen vegetables and meat for added salt and sodium.
It can be! Frozen veggies and fruit that don't have any added sauces or sugars are a healthy and economically way to get more of Mother Nature's finest in your diet. Stockpile these in your freezer for a healthy addition to your meals.

Also, when I cook on the weekends, I make extra servings and freeze the leftovers for another meal during the week. I then defrost the frozen meal in the refrigerator a day or two prior to using it.

My freezer is stocked with healty foods!

Vandana  R. Sheth
It depends! Frozen produce especially vegetables and fruits are nutritious. Frozen produce is typically picked and flash frozen so the nutrients are better retained. They can also be convenient and an easy way to add side dishes/dessert without having to wash, cut, prep them in advance. Frozen produce can also be more cost effective than fresh produce depending upon the season/availability. When it comes to frozen entrees, etc. it is important to read the labels for ingredients and nutrition facts. They can be convenient and portion-controlled while also potentially being high in fat, sodium and calories.
Ms. Ashley Koff, RD
With the economy, food safety issues, and time efficiency on everyone's mind, the freezer offers one of our best tools for nutrition for optimal health. Whether it's fruits, vegetables, or fish, these foods are frozen immediately after they are plucked from a tree or the sea and washed. This means that these foods are literally frozen in time at their peak freshness and don't endure as much exposure to potential contaminants. What's more, stocking your freezer means you always have a healthy option available. With a quick run under hot water or a steam, you can create a truly fresh dish in minutes. What's more, frozen goods last a long time so you get your money's worth.

Mom Energy: A Simple Plan to Live Fully Charged

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

Make Onions Even Healthier with This Storage Trick
Onions are fairly bursting with antioxidants and other nutritious goodies. But you can get even more out of them if you tuck them away for a spell. S...
How can I store coconuts?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Mature coconuts are available in most grocery stores. Store them in a dry, cool area if you purchase...
How can I store kiwifruit?
Kiwifruit can be left to ripen for a few days to a week at room temperature, away from exposure to s...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.