Is frozen food healthy?

It can be! Frozen veggies and fruit that don't have any added sauces or sugars are a healthy and economically way to get more of Mother Nature's finest in your diet. Stockpile these in your freezer for a healthy addition to your meals.

Also, when I cook on the weekends, I make extra servings and freeze the leftovers for another meal during the week. I then defrost the frozen meal in the refrigerator a day or two prior to using it.

My freezer is stocked with healty foods!

Vandana  R. Sheth
It depends! Frozen produce especially vegetables and fruits are nutritious. Frozen produce is typically picked and flash frozen so the nutrients are better retained. They can also be convenient and an easy way to add side dishes/dessert without having to wash, cut, prep them in advance. Frozen produce can also be more cost effective than fresh produce depending upon the season/availability. When it comes to frozen entrees, etc. it is important to read the labels for ingredients and nutrition facts. They can be convenient and portion-controlled while also potentially being high in fat, sodium and calories.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

How can I store chestnuts?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Chestnuts in the shell should be stored in a perforated plastic bag in the refrigerator, where they ...
How should kale (collards) be stored?
Kale should be stored in the refrigerator crisper wrapped in a damp paper towel or placed in a perfo...
How can I store carob?
Carob powder is available at most health food and whole food grocery stores and in the natural food ...
How do I store sesame seeds?
There is a great variety when purchasing sesame seeds. They come dry, cleaned with hulls, white and ...