How do I safely thaw a turkey?

If your turkey is frozen, don't thaw it on the kitchen counter. You'll be putting your guests at risk of food poisoning. Instead, thaw it in the refrigerator, microwave or sink, following these steps:
  • Refrigerator: If thawing in the refrigerator, allow about one day for every 4 to 5 pounds of turkey.
  • Microwave: If thawing in the microwave, cook immediately after thawing because some areas may become warm and begin to cook.
  • Sink: If thawing in cold water, keep the turkey in its original airtight packaging or in a leak-proof bag. Submerge the bird or cut-up parts in cold water, changing the water every 30 minutes. Estimate minimum thawing time to be 30 minutes per pound for whole turkey.
If you've thawed your turkey in the microwave or sink you can't re-freeze it before cooking, so plan accordingly.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

A Good Reason (Besides Taste) to Avoid Canned Foods Whenever Possible
In the late 18th century, Napoleon offered a reward to whoever could figure out how to safely preserve food for his traveling army. Nicholas Appert se...
How can I store lemons?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Store lemons at room temperature, away from sunlight, and enjoy their cheerful color. They keep with...
Is it safe to eat reheated spinach?
Nancy TeeterNancy Teeter
All foods have the potential to be unsafe to eat reheated. The risk from spinach is low as long as t...
How do I safely store fruits and vegetables?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Here are tips to safely store fruits and vegetables: Promptly store produce that needs refrigerati...