How do I safely store fruits and vegetables?

Here are tips to safely store fruits and vegetables:
  • Promptly store produce that needs refrigeration.
  • Fresh, whole produce such as bananas and potatoes don't need refrigeration.
  • Refrigerate fresh produce within two hours of peeling or cutting.
  • Throw away leftover cut produce that is left at room temperature for more than two hours.
  • Discard cooked vegetables after three to four days.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

A Good Reason (Besides Taste) to Avoid Canned Foods Whenever Possible
In the late 18th century, Napoleon offered a reward to whoever could figure out how to safely preserve food for his traveling army. Nicholas Appert se...
How can I store peanuts?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
For storage, use an airtight container and keep your peanuts in a dry, cool place, where they can ke...
How can I keep leftovers safe for eating?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Whether you’re microwaving leftovers or reheating them in the oven, the only accurate way to gauge t...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.