How do I safely store food leftovers?

Doreen Rodo

When storing warm leftovers, be sure to place them in a shallow container with the lid slightly ajar. Place in the refrigerator and once it cools some, cover completely. If it is a cold item, just put in a container with a cover and place in refrigerator. Limit the time that you are leaving food sitting out to one hour. Do not place raw, uncooked meats such as chicken, beef etc., on top of leftovers, especially if they are not going to be cooked. As a general rule, do not keep items for more than three-four days, and if not sure how long it's been stored, throw it out. Keep refrigerator temperatures below 40 degrees and freezer temperature at 0 degrees. 

To safely store and extend shelf life of leftover dishes, consider the following guide:
  • Wash hands before handling foods.
  • Keep raw meats and ready-to-eat foods separate.
  • Refrigerate foods promptly below 40 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • One important rule: When in doubt, throw it out. safely store food leftovers, keeping food leftovers, food leftovers and safety, food safety and storage, handling food safely   
Cindy Gay

Divide into small pieces and place into shallow pans. Cut roast and potatoes in half. Place soup, stews or similar items into shallow containers less than 2 inches deep.  Place in the coolest part of the refrigerator (usually the bottom shelf), use within 4 days and only reheat once. When reheated, heat quickly to 165 degrees.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How can I store rice?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
As the oil in brown rice can turn rancid, keep it in the refrigerator. White rice is fine in a cool,...
How can I store sorghum?
Look for sorghum flour, mixes, cereal, and other baked goods in the gluten-free grains section of yo...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks. Have you ever op...