How can I keep leftovers safe for eating?

Deborah Beauvais
Whether you’re microwaving leftovers or reheating them in the oven, the only accurate way to gauge the doneness of food is to use a meat thermometer to make sure foods reach a safe internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. And adults aren’t the only ones who should take heed of heat-and-eat tips. According to the ADA survey, 32 percent of parents say their children occasionally reheat leftovers on their own.

With kids taking on more responsibility in the kitchen, it’s increasingly important for parents to be ‘re-heater role models’ and practice proper food safety techniques at home.
When leftovers are handled improperly, yesterday's delicious meal can sour quickly. Follow these simple steps to make your doggie bag as good the second time around as the first:
  • Refrigerate or freeze leftovers within two hours of cooking.
  • Store leftovers in airtight, shallow containers (2 inches deep or less).
  • When you reheat, use a meat thermometer to ensure the internal temperature of your leftovers reaches 165 degrees Fahrenheit.
  • If reheating in a microwave without a turntable, rotate the plate midway through the heating and give a stir to eliminate cold spots where bacteria can survive.
  • Consume within three to five days.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How can I store pine nuts?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
If you find pine nuts in shells, they will last longer. Due to the high fat content pine nuts become...
How should I store a pumpkin?
American Diabetes AssociationAmerican Diabetes Association
Pumpkins store well once you bring them home. They should not be refrigerated unless cut. Store them...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.