How do I safely can foods?

To can foods safely, consider the following:
  • Use the freshest produce possible.
  • Follow recipes and instructions, including all steps necessary to sterilize your cans, lips and other equipment.
  • While you can reuse jars, always use new lids. A proper seal is necessary to keep canned foods safe to eat.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

A Good Reason (Besides Taste) to Avoid Canned Foods Whenever Possible
In the late 18th century, Napoleon offered a reward to whoever could figure out how to safely preserve food for his traveling army. Nicholas Appert se...
How can I store pine nuts?
Vandana  R. ShethVandana R. Sheth
If you find pine nuts in shells, they will last longer. Due to the high fat content pine nuts become...
How should cauliflower be stored?
Judy CaplanJudy Caplan
Cauliflower should be stored in the vegetable drawer of the refrigerator. You can keep it wrapped in...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.