How should I choose plastic food and drink containers?

Alan Greene, MD
Pediatrics
When choosing plastic food and drink containers, choose recycling numbers 1,2,4 and 5 (less chemicals) or even better, use stainless steel, glass or ceramic containers. Watch me discuss the safest types of food containers. 
Refer to this checklist when shopping for lunch boxes and food and drink containers:
  • Seek out lunch boxes labeled "lead safe" or "lead free," "polyvinyl chloride (PVC)-free" or "vinyl-free," and plastic bottles labeled "bisphenol A (BPA)-free." Plastics should be substituted as much as possible with glass or stainless steel or used in a safe manner where substitutes are unavailable.
  • Look to recycling numbers for help! PVC or vinyl is identifiable by the recycling #3 on the bottom of plastic containers. Recycling #6 used in Styrofoam cups and plates indicates the presence of polystyrene, and #7 usually indicates the presence of BPA (some new bio-based plastics, which are safe, may be labeled #7, as well).
  • Finally, when purchasing any product either made of plastic or stored in plastic, remember to check the recycling number with the following rhyme: With your food and drink, chose 4, 5, 1, and 2; all the rest aren't good for you! If these numbers can't be found, then you may want to take a precautionary approach and avoid using these products.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

What You Need to Know About the Harmful Plastics Called Phthalates
Taking charge of how the environment affects your health is more necessary—and more possible—now than ever. That’s because we are increasingly knowled...
How can I store hazelnuts?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Store shelled hazelnuts in an airtight bag or container in the freezer, where they will stay fresh a...
How can I keep leftovers safe for eating?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Whether you’re microwaving leftovers or reheating them in the oven, the only accurate way to gauge t...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.