How can I store rice?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

As the oil in brown rice can turn rancid, keep it in the refrigerator. White rice is fine in a cool, dry place. Brown rice should be stored in an airtight container and can remain in the refrigerator for up to six months. White rice is fine in an airtight container for up to one year. Keep cooked rice in an airtight container to prevent drying, and it will remain fresh for up to four days.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

Make Onions Even Healthier with This Storage Trick
Onions are fairly bursting with antioxidants and other nutritious goodies. But you can get even more out of them if you tuck them away for a spell. S...
How can I store miso?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Miso is generally sold in tightly sealed plastic or glass containers. To check for freshness, look f...
How can I keep leftovers safe for eating?
Deborah BeauvaisDeborah Beauvais
Whether you’re microwaving leftovers or reheating them in the oven, the only accurate way to gauge t...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.