How can I store dates?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine

For the longest shelf life, place soft and semisoft varieties, such as Deglet Noor, in an airtight plastic bag or container to protect them from the odors of other foods, which they will quickly absorb. Store soft and semisoft varieties in the refrigerator, where they will keep for up to eight months. Stored in the same manner at room temperature, they will remain fresh for one month or more. Dried dates, which are pasteurized to inhibit mold growth, can be kept in the refrigerator for up to one year or in the freezer for up to five years.

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How can I safely store food during my cancer treatment?
Intermountain HealthcareIntermountain Healthcare
Store foods in tightly sealed, covered containers. Discard foods that have passed their expiration...
Why is it important to store leftover food carefully?
Storing food carefully will ensure freshness and taste, plus it will keep bacteria at bay. Use seala...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.