How can I store corn?

Michael T. Murray, ND
Naturopathic Medicine
As with any food, it is best to buy it as fresh as possible before use. If you have to keep the corn before using, keep it in a tightly sealed plastic bag in the refrigerator. Do not remove the husk until you are ready to cook. After cooking, corn may stay in the refrigerator for up to two days.

You can also freeze fresh corn for longer-term storage. Simply blanch the whole ears from seven to 11 minutes (less for smaller corn, more for larger ears). Whole ears can be frozen for up to one year. Alternately, you can blanch the ears for five minutes and then remove the kernels and freeze them. These kernels will keep for two or three months.

Other forms of corn, such as cornmeal, grits (such as polenta), and corn flour should be kept refrigerated in airtight containers. This way, they will stay fresh for up to three months. Frozen products have a six-month freezer life.
Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

Encyclopedia of Healing Foods

From the bestselling authors of The Encyclopedia of Natural Medicine, the most comprehensive and practical guide available to the nutritional benefits and medicinal properties of virtually everything...

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

The Dos and Don’ts of Reheating Leftovers
According to some accounts, in 1953, C.A. Swanson & Sons had more than 500,000 pounds of unsold turkey after Thanksgiving. One employee suggested they...
How should I store eggs?
Marisa MooreMarisa Moore
Eggs should be stored in the original carton in the refrigerator. Whole raw eggs will keep in the re...
How can I store dates?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
For the longest shelf life, place soft and semisoft varieties, such as Deglet Noor, in an airtight p...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.