What are the healthiest choices for frozen desserts?

Try topping a ½ cup serving of ice cream with ½ cup of low calorie berries. The high fiber berries will provide bulk and satiety, or that feeling of fullness, for fewer calories than a second scoop of ice cream. Buying pre-portioned bars of dessert can also help control calories as long as you don’t go back to the freezer for another bar.

For 12 Frozen Desserts for Less Than 120 Calories, please visit my blog at:
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/health/blog/nutrition/2012/07/12_frozen_desserts_under_120_c.html

Picture of man with ice cream
Samantha Heller, RD

The healthiest frozen desserts are the ones you make yourself, says registered dietitian Samantha Heller. Watch the video to learn how to make frozen desserts that are lower in calories than the store-bought kind.

When choosing frozen desserts choose varieties that contain 3 grams or less of fat per 4-ounce serving (1/2 cup). Look for low-fat frozen yogurt or low- or fat-free ice cream. Try frozen fruit juice bars with fewer than 70 calories per bar. Avoid desserts made with cream of coconut, coconut milk, or coconut or palm oil, which are high in saturated fat or contain trans fats.

Continue Learning about Food Storage & Health

What You Need to Know About the Harmful Plastics Called Phthalates
Taking charge of how the environment affects your health is more necessary—and more possible—now than ever. That’s because we are increasingly knowled...
How should I store bee pollen?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Bee pollen, propolis, and royal jelly are most often available in the refrigerated sections in healt...
How can I store coconuts?
Mature coconuts are available in most grocery stores. Store them in a dry, cool area if you purchase...
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
How to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry StaplesHow to Store and When to Toss 5 Pantry Staples
Check out these tips for where to store and when to toss common food items in your kitchen from culinary nutritionist Stefanie Sacks.