Can I have caffeine while pregnant?

The research on caffeine is very inconsistent. Some studies show a relationship between caffeine and miscarriage rate, while others do not. The American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology (ACOG) claims that there is no proof that caffeine causes miscarriage, but also recommends that women may want to avoid or limit caffeine intake during pregnancy. After decades of controversy and conflicting evidence, there’s still no real consensus on how much caffeine is safe during pregnancy. Until the scientific literature provides more direction, many new mothers (and obstetricians and midwives) err on the side of caution and follow the March of Dime’s recommendation of no more than 200mg/day (that’s about one 12-ounce cup of coffee).

It is generally recommended that you avoid caffeine or limit your intake during pregnancy and breastfeeding. If you do consume caffeinated drinks (such as coffee, tea and soda), limit them to one to two cups or no more than 200 milligrams a day (the amount in one 12-ounce cup of coffee) or try decaffeinated beverages. If you are a heavy caffeine user, remember that you may have withdrawal headaches if you abruptly stop using caffeine. Discuss with your healthcare provider how you can most comfortably and safely decrease your caffeine intake.

Continue Learning about Food Safety & Pregnancy

Can I drink alcohol during pregnancy?
To avoid all risk of alcohol-related problems, it is best to avoid alcoholic drinks altogether durin...
What is the cause of specific food cravings during pregnancy?
Riverside Women's HealthRiverside Women's Health
Many women have strong desires for specific foods during pregnancy. The desire for "pickles and ice ...
What foods should I eat during pregnancy?
Academy of Nutrition and DieteticsAcademy of Nutrition and Dietetics
Moms-to-be should eat a variety of nutrient-rich foods from all of the recommended foods groups....
What foods should I avoid while pregnant?
Brigham and Women's HospitalBrigham and Women's Hospital
Even though there's no evidence to suggest a risk to your develping baby, until more evidence is ava...