What does USDA Certified Organic mean?

This growing interest in organic foods prompted the USDA to develop National Organic Standards (NOS) in 2002. The NOS implemented under the USDA’s National Organic Program provide specific criteria that food producers must meet during production, handling, and processing to label their products “organic.”

As a result of these standards, you can be confident that if the food is labeled as "certified organic", it was produced and handled using specific guidelines and certified by a USDA-accredited inspector.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Why should I avoid eating cottonseed oil?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Cottonseed oil may contain toxic residues due to the fact that cotton is so heavily sprayed with pes...
What are extra-large or jumbo eggs?
Margaret FloydMargaret Floyd
A special consideration for eggs is their size. When you see the labels "extra-large" or "jumbo,...
Are there any approved waxes for use on fruits and vegetables?
Currently, the FDA has approved six different waxes for use on produce. Approved compounds include s...
How can caramel food coloring impact my health?
Caramel coloring has the potential to cause cancer and it is hidden in a lot of products that you mi...