What does USDA Certified Organic mean?

This growing interest in organic foods prompted the USDA to develop National Organic Standards (NOS) in 2002. The NOS implemented under the USDA’s National Organic Program provide specific criteria that food producers must meet during production, handling, and processing to label their products “organic.”

As a result of these standards, you can be confident that if the food is labeled as "certified organic", it was produced and handled using specific guidelines and certified by a USDA-accredited inspector.
Kate Geagan
Of all the seals, this is the most rigorous, as it’s a national program overseen by the USDA. Products with this label must be produced without the use of antibiotics, hormones, genetic engineering, radiation, or synthetic pesticides or fertilizers. If you see this label, you can be sure that the product is at least 95% organic, if not 100% organic. This is the best seal to prevent greenwashing in every aisle of the grocery store. Your meat, poultry and dairy products should be organic; animals are what they eat.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Should You Be Worried About GMOs?
Should You Be Worried About GMOs?
It’s almost impossible to turn on the TV without seeing news reports or commercials about GMOs. You’ve probably encountered GMO-free labels on product...
What are mono-dyglicerides?
Susan EvansSusan Evans
Mono-dyglicerides are added to processed foods to act as emulsifiers that help oil and water to mix....
Should I avoid genetically modified (GMO) foods?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
Over half of the corn planted in the United States has been genetically modified (GMO) using biotech...
Why Should I Eat Locally Grown Food?
Why Should I Eat Locally Grown Food?