What are overages in fortified food products?

Some cereals may contain more added vitamins and minerals than the label reflects. These “overages” occur when manufacturers deliberately add extra nutrient, either to ensure that it will be at the advertised level throughout the product’s shelf life or to compensate for expected breakdown of unstable vitamins. Overages vary depending on the stability of the added ingredient. Unstable nutrients, such as vitamin A, generally require high overages. Larger amounts are also sometimes added accidentally, which can cause illness.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Antibiotics in the Food Chain
Antibiotics in the Food Chain
Treating viruses with antibiotics is like putting a screen door on a submarine. It’s ineffective and can cause lots of problems when a battle begins. ...
Why do processed foods have less nutritional value than whole foods?
Brian TanzerBrian Tanzer
During certain types of processing many of the vitamins, minerals and other nutrients and cofactors ...
Why are BHA and BHT added to foods?
Michael T. Murray, NDMichael T. Murray, ND
Without antioxidants, many foods would spoil quite rapidly. The two most widely used antioxidants ar...
Should I Eat Organic Food?
Should I Eat Organic Food?