What do the different labels on organic foods mean?

There are a few ways organic foods can be labeled:
  • Foods that are made with all organic ingredients can use the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Certified Organic Seal and can claim “100% organic” on the front label.
  • Foods made with 95% organic ingredients -- by weight, excluding water and salt -- can use the claim “organic” and display the USDA seal.
  • Foods that are labeled “made with organic ingredients” contain at least 70% organic ingredients. These ingredients can be listed on the front label and in the ingredients list, but the organic seal cannot be displayed on the product.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Should You Be Worried About GMOs?
It’s almost impossible to turn on the TV without seeing news reports or commercials about GMOs. You’ve probably encountered GMO-free labels on product...
Should You Be Worried About GMOs?
Should You Be Worried About GMOs?
Should I Eat Organic Food?
Should I Eat Organic Food?
Is Your Restaurant Organic?
Is Your Restaurant Organic?