What do the different labels on organic foods mean?

There are a few ways organic foods can be labeled:
  • Foods that are made with all organic ingredients can use the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) Certified Organic Seal and can claim “100% organic” on the front label.
  • Foods made with 95% organic ingredients -- by weight, excluding water and salt -- can use the claim “organic” and display the USDA seal.
  • Foods that are labeled “made with organic ingredients” contain at least 70% organic ingredients. These ingredients can be listed on the front label and in the ingredients list, but the organic seal cannot be displayed on the product.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

When Oil and Water Mix: Health Alert
When Oil and Water Mix: Health Alert
When you hear the phrase, “Those two go together like oil and water,” you know they don’t get along. But what if you had to make them compatible? To d...
Is the fungicide carbendazim harmful to people?
Gary GinsbergGary Ginsberg
Could the orange juice in your fridge be dangerous to your health? The fungicide carbendazim is ...
How is food production regulated?
The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is an enormous agency with many roles, including being r...
Why Should I Eat Locally Grown Food?
Why Should I Eat Locally Grown Food?