Pink slime was developed as an addition to pet food, but about 70% of ground beef sold in the U.S. at one time had it mixed in. Luckily, public outrage was enough to get most American grocery stores to stop that practice (at least temporarily). McDonald's, Burger King, and Taco Bell have stopped using the filler, as have many public school systems.
- Q What is the loin section of pork?
- Q What are the acceptable levels of pesticide residues in food products?
- Q What does the price look-up (PLU) code on produce indicate?
- Q Why should I drink pasteurized milk?
- Q How are food oils produced via mechanical extraction?
- Q What is BHA (butylated hydroxyanisole) or BHT (butylated hydroxytoluene)?