What should I know about sodium nitrite before receiving it?

Sodium nitrite is not available on the drug market in the US at this time. It may have toxic results in addition to beneficial results. Currently, you may encounter sodium nitrite in various meats like bacon, ham and hot dogs. When ingesting these, you should be aware that it may cause a buildup of cancer-causing chemicals. This is especially relevant in children and pregnant women. The addition of some types of acid to the meats may lower this risk.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

"Flame Retardants" in Your Gatorade: Hazard, or Hype?
We have a long history of doing questionable things to vegetable oils—and putting them in odd places in the food supply. The best-known and deservedl...
Why is white bread unhealthy?
Stefanie Sacks, MSStefanie Sacks, MS
White bread is typically made with bleached white flour. And with that, the foundation of your bread...
What are the harmful effects of processed foods on my body?
Ms. Ashley Koff, RDMs. Ashley Koff, RD
When we eat processed foods, our bodies lose the capacity to self-heal efficiently as chronic inflam...
Is Your Restaurant Organic?
Is Your Restaurant Organic?