Are free-range chickens more nutritious than regular birds?

Both types of chickens get a feed mix that's designed to prep them for market, and there's no evidence that free-range chickens are more nutritious. Ideally, free-range birds are more humanely raised, but the USDA only requires that certified free-range chickens have "access" to the outdoors. "That may mean the birds got to stroll on a cement slab for five minutes a day," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Nutrition for Women.
Nope. Both get a feed mix that's designed to prep them for market, and there's no evidence that free-range chickens are more nutritious to eat. Ideally, free-range birds are more humanely raised, but the USDA only requires that certified free-range chickens have "access" to the outdoors. "That may mean the birds got to stroll on a cement slab for 5 minutes a day," says Elizabeth Somer, RD, author of Nutrition for Women.

Continue Learning about Food Production & Health

Hawaii Health Alert: Should You Be Worried About GMOs?
It’s almost impossible to turn on the TV without seeing news reports or commercials about GMOs. You’ve probably encountered GMO-free labels on product...
Is Your Restaurant Organic?
Is Your Restaurant Organic?
Should I Eat Organic Food?
Should I Eat Organic Food?
What Does the Term "Farm to Table" Mean?